Student receives award for poster

Manufacturing and Systems Management engineering graduate student, Na Deng, was awarded Best Student Poster at the recent Center for Excellence in Logistics and Distribution (CELDi) conference in Atlanta.

The Center for Excellence in Logistics and Distribution (CELDi) awarded graduate student Na Deng Best Student Poster after her presentation at its conference in Atlanta in April. Deng is completing operations research on supply chains and algorithms as part of her doctoral program in the Department of Manufacturing and Systems Management in the University of Missouri’s College of Engineering.

CELDi is a partnership between the National Science Foundation (NSF), ten major universities, including MU, and over 30 member organizations.

Member organizations enable research projects. Leggett & Platt, a Fortune 500 company, sponsored Deng’s project. Deng said she used operations research and mathematical models and algorithms in order to optimize the company’s logistical network to reduce cost and increase customer service.

“I developed online tours, programs that are very easy for companies to use,” she said.

In all, eight MU students attended the conference. This was the first time that the department received the Best Student Poster award.

“I’m very excited to get the award,” Deng said. “It was out of my expectations.”

Deng extended thanks to Associate Professor Wooseung Jang and Professor James Noble, the IMSE faculty involved in her project.

“Dr. Jang gives me a lot of help and good advice for my research,” Deng said. “And Dr. Noble gave me good, good opportunities.”