Swanegan recognized for work with NSBE

University of Missouri’s NAACP collegiate chapter presented J.R. Swanegan with the Booker T. Washington Advisor of the Year Award at their Image Awards banquet in late April.

Swanegan, the College of Engineering’s director of diversity and outreach, was nominated for the award by the student chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE). He and Gregory Triplett, assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering, co-advise the group.

“Greg has the technical skills, and I provide the soft skills like professional development and community service,” Swanegan said. “We have a good partnership and the combination is a benefit as a whole.

“I am flattered and humbled that they nominated me. I enjoy working with them and watching them grow on campus and in the community,” he said.

Swanegan works with NSBE to plan events and trips. He also assists with bringing in speakers and corporate representatives for monthly meetings to discuss internships and job availability.

“They are a great bunch of students,” he said. “They sponsor an after school program at a local church, serve as college ambassadors and help with summer camp, giving presentations and working as camp counselors.”

“I feel fortunate to work with such a strong, student-run organization. It’s nice to appreciated for that kind of work,” he said.

Swanegan earned his bachelor’s degree from MU in 2001, and his juris doctorate in 2004. He worked as director of diversity for MU’s School of Law before coming to Mizzou Engineering in 2006.

Categorized as:

This story is tagged as: