Electrical engineering student receives HENAAC-Rockwell Collins scholarship
Richard Andrade, an electrical engineering junior from St. Louis, was surprised and honored when he received the HENAAC (Hispanic Engineer National Achievement Awards Corporation)-Rockwell Collins scholarship in October 2010. Andrade was one of 101 Hispanic students who received the scholarship highlighting recipient’s leadership, academic achievement and community involvement. In addition to the scholarship, Andrade attended the HENAAC conference in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., and also was recognized as the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) scholar of the week on February 21.
“This was a national scholarship so it was pretty competitive. It was a real honor,” Andrade said.
Andrade was exposed to engineering at a very young age as his father works at Boeing.
“My father instilled in me a knack for math and science,” Andrade said.
Andrade said that he was exposed to MU Engineering in high school when he attended the Missouri Scholars Academy as a sophomore in high school.
“Mizzou offers a lot of active experience opportunities to engineers,” Andrade said.
He maintains a high grade point average and is a MU Engineering Diversity Scholar. He is a member of Tau Beta Pi, the engineering honor society, and was a member of the Hydrogen Car Team.
After graduation he hopes to follow the example of his father and work at Boeing, or another major aircraft production company.
“I’m interested in defense. My dad can’t tell me about some of the work he has done and I think that’s really cool, to be on the cutting edge of technology,” Andrade said.
“Engineering is so practical and useful. You can invent new gadgets and tools for the next generation. It’s definitely the field for me.”
- Computers & Electronics
- Health / Medicine
- Infrastructure & Transportation
- Nano Science & Technology
- National Security / Defense
- The Environment
- All Academic Departments
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- MU Informatics Institute
- Naval Sciences
- Nuclear Engineering Program
- Nuclear Science & Engineering Institute
- Back to menu
- Faculty & Staff
- Research Centers & Programs
- Mizzou Engineer Magazine
- MU officials rename Engineering Building West ‘Naka Hall’ after MU alumnus, donor
- $12 Million Federal Contract to MU Will Establish Education Program for National Intelligence Agency
- Sensors increase ability to predict senior citizen falls
- MU Engineering researchers develop improvement in topic modeling
- IEEE society’s new vice president for publications aims for consistency