Engineering faculty travels to Iraq to lay collaboration groundwork
The University of Missouri was selected by the International Research and Exchanges Board to participate in the Iraq University Linkage Program (ULP). This initiative is aimed at building sustainable partnerships between Iraqi and U.S. universities to help develop Iraqi universities’ capacity to engage globally and to promote social and economic development in Iraq.
In October, five Mizzou Engineering faculty members traveled to Erbil, Kurdistan, to participate in ULP planning meetings with their partner University of Technology, Baghdad. During the discussions and brainstorming sessions, participants discussed and formulated work plans that would be implemented over a three-year project period. The “linkage” is one of eight approved by the Department of State through the U.S. Embassy in Iraq. See slideshow below.
Additionally, the MU delegation met with the representatives of the Kurdistan Ministry of Higher Education and discussed the process of higher education reform in Kurdistan, as well as MU involvement in the Human Capacity Development Program (HCPD), a $100 million initiative launched by the Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government.
MU Engineering faculty members making the trip were Noah Manring, Sanjeev Khanna, Linsey Barker Steege, Kifayah Al-Saffar and Vlad Likholetov.
- Computers & Electronics
- Health / Medicine
- Infrastructure & Transportation
- Nano Science & Technology
- National Security / Defense
- The Environment
- All Academic Departments
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- MU Informatics Institute
- Naval Sciences
- Nuclear Engineering Program
- Nuclear Science & Engineering Institute
- Back to menu
- Faculty & Staff
- Research Centers & Programs
- Mizzou Engineer Magazine
This story is tagged as:
- MU hires College’s international outreach coordinator to direct campus international STEM, engineering program
- International outreach coordinator lauded for lifting students
- ‘Training the trainers’ is theme in third year of MU-Iraqi faculty workshops
- Assistant professor presents on nuclear safeguards in energy-deficient Ghana
- Big Data Analytics Summer Program grows in Year Two