Engineering students receive annual Mizzou ’39 honors

Three students from the University of Missouri College of Engineering were among those honored in February in an annual ceremony recognizing the Mizzou ’39, an award bestowed upon 39 outstanding MU seniors that recognizes academic achievement, leadership and service.

The Mizzou Alumni Association honored engineering seniors Emily Boehm, Claudia Krueger and Michael Lopresti with the award, named in honor of the university’s founding year and the families that helped establish the university. Each student award also earned recognition for a faculty or staff mentor whom recipients named as having had an impact on his or her time as an MU student.

Emily Boehm poses with her mentor, Justin Shepherd, whom she has been working for as a teaching assistant for SSC1150 Learning Strategies. Boehm, a civil engineering major, was named as one of this year's Mizzou '39.

Emily Boehm is a civil engineering major from Lee’s Summit, Mo. Engineering runs in her family. Her father and both of her siblings studied engineering at Mizzou. In addition to having family close — with both siblings attending MU — Boehm said she also liked the campus and the City of Columbia.

“I loved having my siblings nearby, but also the opportunity to do my own thing.  Mizzou had everything that I needed in one great city,” she said.

After graduation, Boehm said she will travel around the U.S. before beginning work at Burns & McDonnell in Kansas City in late June.

“Once I am working, I hope to still travel as much as I can since that has always been one of my passions,” she said.

She has served as president of the Engineering Student Council and Engineering Ambassadors this last year and is involved in Chi Epsilon. Her mentor is Justin Shepherd, of whom Boehm has been working for as a teaching assistant this year.

Claudia Krueger, right, poses with her mentor, Tina Balser, assistant director of student enrichment. Krueger, a mechanical engineering major, is one of this year's Mizzou '39 inductees.

Though she started school as an undeclared business major, Claudia Krueger, a mechanical engineering major from Blue Springs, Mo., wanted to find a field that not only interested her, but also let her study math and science. She wanted to attend MU because both of her parents went to school here and after talking with other engineers, she decided to change her major.

“I scheduled a visit to College of Engineering that week and was hooked. I started the following semester as an engineering major,” she said.

She also is a member of Alpha Chi Omega, the Mizzou Concert Chorale, a College of Engineering Ambassador and is the president of the Mizzou Chapter for the Society of Women Engineers.

After graduation, Krueger will start work for Procter and Gamble in Cape Girardeau as a process engineer, primarily working with infant products. Her mentor is Tina Balser, assistant director of student enrichment.

Michael Lopresti, left, poses with Brandon Orr, of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. Lopresti, an industrial engineering major, is one of this year's Mizzou '39 inductees.

Michael Lopresti is an industrial and manufacturing systems engineering major from Columbus, Ohio. A member of the Mizzou swim team, Lopresti said academic and athletic opportunities were key factors in his decision to attend Mizzou. He said he was interested in MU’s IMSE program because of the five-year dual BSIE/MBA program.

“An MBA was something I always desired, and this enabled me to complete the degree without having to balance full-time work in the process,” Lopresti said.

An internship with Proctor and Gamble is planned this summer for Lopresti. He will return in the fall to complete his MBA.

“I view the Mizzou 39 reward as recognition for my time and effort spent over the past four years making an overall positive impact on the MU student body through my scholarship, leadership and service,” he said.

Lopresti’s mentor is Brandon Orr, Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.