Iraqi university delegation visits MU Engineering
A delegation of five faculty members from the University of Technology in Baghdad (UoT) is visiting MU’s College of Engineering for three weeks in December as part of the Iraqi University Linkage Program (ULP), being administered through the U.S. International Research and Exchange Board (IREX). The group has come to get training in the college’s labs and work with MU faculty to jointly develop courses for UoT.
MU faculty members working with the group include Professor Shubhra Gangopadhyay, C.W. LaPierre Endowed Chair of electrical and computer engineering, and LaPierre Professor Sanjeev Khanna, of mechanical and aerospace engineering.
Gangopadhyay’s research specialties largely fall into the area of nanotechnology. She serves as director of the MU Center for Nano/Micro Systems and Nanotechnology. Khanna’s work involves renewable energy and energy efficiency.
“There are certain assets we have on campus that this group can benefit from,” said Vlad Likholetov, director of international partnerships and initiatives for the College of Engineering. “Nanotechnology and energy are of great interest to Iraqi scientists. While they are here, they will get a chance to work with MU researchers in those labs. Besides training, they will explore opportunities for collaboration between UoT and MU.”
The Iraqi ULP project is nearing completion of its first year, and the grant is expected to be extended for another year. There are plans for more visitors from UoT to come to Columbia, as well as for MU faculty to travel to Iraq. Project areas include nanotechnology, energy efficiency, ABET accreditation assistance in Industrial Engineering and development of a career services center at UoT.
- Computers & Electronics
- Health / Medicine
- Infrastructure & Transportation
- Nano Science & Technology
- National Security / Defense
- The Environment
- All Academic Departments
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- MU Informatics Institute
- Naval Sciences
- Nuclear Engineering Program
- Nuclear Science & Engineering Institute
- Back to menu
- Faculty & Staff
- Research Centers & Programs
- Mizzou Engineer Magazine
- $12 Million Federal Contract to MU Will Establish Education Program for National Intelligence Agency
- Sensors increase ability to predict senior citizen falls
- MU Engineering researchers develop improvement in topic modeling
- IEEE society’s new vice president for publications aims for consistency
- Professor co-authors computational intelligence textbook