Diversity alumnus spotlight: Eric Thomas

A man smiles at the camera.

Eric Thomas, BS EE ’09, has been on the move since he earned his bachelor’s degree. He’s been promoted twice since starting his career with Norfolk Southern Railroad.

In the four years since graduation, Eric Thomas, BS EE ’09, has been promoted twice and moved three times for his career. He began working for Norfolk Southern Railroad as a management trainee of the Conway, Pa., Locomotive Shop in January 2010. He made the move to Conway immediately after his December 2009 graduation.

In March 2011, he was promoted to mechanical supervisor of the Sheffield, Ala., locomotive shop, and just more than a year later, returned to Conway as the general foreman of the Car Shop.

“In my job, I supervise union craft employees — electricians, machinists, boilermakers and laborers — in repair and modifications to locomotives and cars,” Thomas said.

He also is a member of the Norfolk Southern Diversity and Inclusion Council.

While at MU, the electrical engineering alumnus said getting involved in student organizations proved to be his turning point.

“I struggled through school until I got involved with different clubs and the activities on campus and in the College of Engineering,” Thomas said. “I found that when I was involved, my peers held me accountable for my grades.”

As a member of industry, Thomas said his best advice to current students is to enjoy being in school.

“I was in such a rush to get out of school and get a job,” he said “Life after college includes bills and more responsibility. Slow down and enjoy the college life.”

Thomas is currently working on his MBA through Webster University’s online degree program.

Categorized as: