Undergraduate learns the value of hard work, leadership
Traonna Clark is a senior mechanical engineering major from St. Louis. She chose the University of Missouri College of Engineering because she thought it offered a great engineering program, and it was close to home.
What she found most surprising after entering college was that she had to rethink her study habits. Learning from experience, she discovered that her best way to study involved learning the course material over a longer period of time, enabling her to not only do well in class, but fully take in what she learned.
“My first semester at Mizzou, I used the same approach [used in high school], and realized cramming in weeks of material in one night wasn’t enough time to fully grasp the material,” she said.
MU Engineering has not only provided Clark with a textbook education, but has also helped facilitate the opportunities for her to gain a real-world education through an internship at Ameren Missouri’s Callaway plant in Fulton, Mo., and professional development.
“Through my internship experiences, I have learned you use the concepts learned in the classroom in 20 percent of the real world, and you are constantly learning in that field,” she said.
Over her fours years at MU, Clark said she credits her work with the faculty for her successes.
“Being around great faculty that care and also professors who are passionate about teaching — I have met so many people in the past four years being here, and I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything else,” she said.
Clark is involved in the National Society of Black Engineers and the Society of Women Engineers. She will graduate in May and plans to work full-time for a engineering consulting firm, adding that her goal is to be in a management position in seven years.
- Computers & Electronics
- Health / Medicine
- Infrastructure & Transportation
- Nano Science & Technology
- National Security / Defense
- The Environment
- All Academic Departments
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- MU Informatics Institute
- Naval Sciences
- Nuclear Engineering Program
- Nuclear Science & Engineering Institute
- Back to menu
- Faculty & Staff
- Research Centers & Programs
- Mizzou Engineer Magazine
This story is tagged as:
- Research relationship leads grad student to campus honor
- ECE teaching assistant earns campus award for TAs
- NSBE chapter officers elected, appointed to regional leadership board
- Civil engineering students sweep top spots at state poster competition
- Civil engineering alumnus recipient of 2016 Moulder Award