Bench dedicated in honor of Nell Lafferre
Members of the MU community, especially those in the College of Engineering, are familiar with the names of Thomas and Nell Lafferre. The College’s main engineering building is named for the couple, and a portrait of the Lafferres hangs high on the wall just inside the building’s west entrance.
In addition to their generous financial support of engineering and MU libraries, the Lafferres have given unselfishly of their time to the University of Missouri.
From 2007 to 2013, Nell served on the Jefferson Club board of trustees, lending her energy and abilities to their proceedings and making friends along the way. When Nell passed away in June 2013, the Jefferson Club Trustees decided to honor the memory and efforts of their spunky colleague.
Benches placed in various locations in the MU campus’ Mizzou Botanic Garden offer a space for a permanent dedication plaque, and a bench on the Francis Quadrangle side of the College of Engineering building looking out at the columns and Jesse Hall became the perfect choice according to Hannah Watts, MU Advancement’s stewardship coordinator who worked with the group.
On April 25, the Jefferson Club trustees gathered near the bench with Tom Lafferre and friends from the College of Engineering to dedicate the bench in Nell’s name. Jefferson Club board chairperson Naomi Cupp shared the board’s pleasure of working with Nell.
The plaque reads, “In Memory of Nell Lafferre who loved Mizzou! Jefferson Club Board of Trustees 2007-2013.”
Tom Lafferre, looking out across the quad at the great view of the University’s iconic columns and the Jesse Hall tower, told those gathered, “She would have loved this.”
Editor’s note: The Jefferson Club exists to encourage philanthropic support of MU’s mission. Alumni and friends who make cumulative lifetime contributions of at least $25,000 are eligible for membership. Many members participate in events on campus and throughout the nation, with the goal of inspiring their peers to become more engaged in the life of the university.
- Computers & Electronics
- Health / Medicine
- Infrastructure & Transportation
- Nano Science & Technology
- National Security / Defense
- The Environment
- All Academic Departments
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- MU Informatics Institute
- Naval Sciences
- Nuclear Engineering Program
- Nuclear Science & Engineering Institute
- Back to menu
- Faculty & Staff
- Research Centers & Programs
- Mizzou Engineer Magazine
This story is tagged as:
- Generational ties inspire Wrights to honor husband, father with scholarship
- Alum’s volunteer work leads to charitable career services venture
- IMSE faculty offices dedicated in honor of Flora, Stallmeyer
- MAE alum lands tenure-track position at Arizona
- College and industrial partner make investments to advance smart manufacturing