Clubs, IAC make Mizzou a new home for international student
It didn’t take Yi Dong long to get involved and active at the University of Missouri.
The industrial and manufacturing systems engineering major is a member of the Association of Computing Machinery and is chair for International Chapter Development with the Institution of Industrial Engineers. Dong also is involved with honors societies Tau Beta Pi and Alpha Pi Mu.
And, on top of that, he works with IMSE Professor Bin Wu at the Missouri Industrial Assessment Center, where he has conducted utility usage analysis and walk-through energy audits for seven different companies.
Dong said he has made himself right at home at MU since coming from Shanghai University.
“I feel like I was physically born in Hohhot, China, but spiritually born in Columbia,” Dong said. “The people at Mizzou are so amazingly nice, and all the professors are so helpful in any instance. This is a place where people want me to succeed and be great.”
Dong hasn’t limited his pursuits to academics, either. He said he enjoys participating in activities through the Peer Mentoring Program, particularly the float trips. Dong also was touched by the care and genuine interest expressed by the Peer Mentoring Group upon his arrival, even picking him up from the airport at 2 a.m.
“I enjoyed myself to the fullest,” Dong said of the float trips. “Being active and sort of crazy but all still under safe control — I think this is what young people should experience at least once in their life.”
- Computers & Electronics
- Health / Medicine
- Infrastructure & Transportation
- Nano Science & Technology
- National Security / Defense
- The Environment
- All Academic Departments
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- MU Informatics Institute
- Naval Sciences
- Nuclear Engineering Program
- Nuclear Science & Engineering Institute
- Back to menu
- Faculty & Staff
- Research Centers & Programs
- Mizzou Engineer Magazine
- MU officials rename Engineering Building West ‘Naka Hall’ after MU alumnus, donor
- $12 Million Federal Contract to MU Will Establish Education Program for National Intelligence Agency
- Sensors increase ability to predict senior citizen falls
- MU Engineering researchers develop improvement in topic modeling
- IEEE society’s new vice president for publications aims for consistency