Skills of steel: Team work solidifies international student’s MU experience

Qiwen Guo poses with the hydrogen car.

Qiwen Guo poses with Mizzou Eco-Racing’s hydrogen car, Tigergen III before the Shell Eco-marathon competition in April. Guo said working on a Mizzou Engineering competition team is one of her favorite ways to learn outside the classroom.

Columbia, Mo. is a long way from the steel and industrial town of Anshan in the Liaoning province of China, and Qiwen Guo has enjoyed the opportunity to experience both.

The mechanical engineering major said she’s enjoyed the experience living in Columbia brings thus far.

“I come from one of the steel cities of China,” Guo said. “Columbia feels different, yet wonderful. I enjoy the serenity and tranquility of this place.”

Guo, who came to MU from the China University of Geosciences, also enjoys working with Mizzou Eco-Racing’s hydrogen car, which recently participated in the Shell Eco-marathon in Houston. It provided the opportunity to do enjoyable work in a field she enjoys in an environment far removed from a classroom setting.

“Getting an opportunity to be a part of the very exciting (hydrogen car team) was no less than a dream come true,” Guo said. “I am so grateful to Mizzou for having let me actually do something I had only been dreaming about.”

Guo said she’s thankful to the Peer Mentoring Program and MU International Center for helping accommodate her arrival and apartment, as well as providing orientation and advising sessions, social events and a language partner.

The MU education and opportunities for research in the mechanical and aerospace engineering field haven’t been too shabby, either.

“With its technology labs, bigger libraries, practical orientation and objective approach at academics, I feel Mizzou is helping me every minute in growing and making myself a better skilled engineer,” Guo said.