Recent grad finds home in clinical engineering

Andi Edmonson, in cap and gown, stands in front of the columns at Mizzou.

Andi Edmonson poses in front of the columns following her graduation in May 2013, where she earned her bachelor’s degree in bioengineering. Edmonson is now working with the Cerner Corporation’s Tiger Institute for Health Innovation at University Hospital in Columbia.

MU engineering graduate Andi Edmonson’s job keeps her busy. “I’m never in one place for long,” she said of working on-site at University Hospital as a clinical engineer for Cerner Corporation, which supplies health care information technology globally.

The Kansas City-based company has a partnership with MU called the Tiger Institute for Health Innovation. “There are several locations throughout the country, but the one here at Mizzou is unique,” said Edmonson. “We are kind of the alpha site for some of the new solutions that they decide to roll out.”

Edmonson’s team at Tiger Institute is in charge of maintenance and repair of all of the hospitals medical devices. Edmonson herself is in charge of some of the smaller devices that have just come into use.

She is also in charge of supporting different departments — primarily neurology — in the hospital with their third-party applications. “I make sure that all of their devices are functioning properly, and then for any issues they have with their software, I’m their first contact,” said Edmonson.

During her time at MU, she was on the Mizzou Engineering Student Council, worked at MizzouRec for two years and worked as an undergraduate lab assistant at in Assistant Professor Heather Hunt’s Lab, among other things.

In the spring of her junior year, Edmonson got an internship position at Cerner, which she began in the summer of 2013. “My internship is what really opened the door for me,” said Edmonson. “It was like having a 12-month-long interview.”

In January of her senior year she was offered a full-time position, which she started a few weeks after graduating in May with a degree in bioengineering.

“I kind of took a different path, and I’m doing something that doesn’t apply my degree every single day,” said Edmonson, “but those skills that I got while I was going through that program are what really helped me.”

Edmonson loves the people she works with, from her team, to her manager, to the executive leadership. “I’m on a first-name basis with everyone and they are really supportive and encouraging. It really provides a good environment for me starting out my career with this company,” she said.

Her advice to students is to make sure they keep a lot of options open. “I never wanted to narrow myself to one specific path. This opportunity just kind of fell into my lap at the same time I was given a really awesome research fellowship, so at that point I had to choose one direction or the other,” said Edmonson. “I’m pretty confident that I made the right choice.”