Bioengineering senior selected to Mizzou ’39

Brock Scoville poses in suit and tie.

Brock Scoville, a senior bioengineering major, recently was selected as a 2015 Mizzou ’39 award recipient. Mizzou ’39 is an honor bestowed on 39 MU seniors annually in recognition of “their academic achievement, leadership and service to Mizzou and the community.” Photo courtesy of Mizzou Alumni Association.

Brock Scoville’s list of academic accomplishments is long. And while he can’t bring himself to rank them, he’s certain his most recent accomplishment ranks near the top.

Scoville, a senior bioengineering major, recently was selected as a 2015 Mizzou ’39 award recipient. Mizzou ’39 is an honor bestowed on 39 MU seniors annually in recognition of “their academic achievement, leadership and service to Mizzou and the community.”

“I was just sitting in my room, and I started to get up and dance,” Scoville said, recounting his reaction upon receiving email confirmation of his selection.

The Eureka, Mo., native said his unveiling as a recipient was a bright spot in a Mizzou career packed with plenty of them. Scoville’s activities and honors include serving as co-president of the St. Pat’s Board, president of Alpha Epsilon, president and co-founder of Engineering World Health, historian of MU’s Mortar Board chapter, member of the Delta Chi fraternity and Summer Welcome leader.

“They took us out, and there was a candle-lighting ceremony where they read off our names, which was great because my parents [Jack and Anne Scoville] actually surprised me there,” he said. “It was really awesome to see them.

“It really has been an honor. It’s been humbling to have so many people reach out and congratulate me on getting it.”

Each recipient also chooses a faculty or staff member for recognition as their adviser throughout their MU career. Scoville selected Steve Borgelt, associate professor and director of undergraduate studies in MU’s Bioengineering Department, and was effusive in his praise when discussing the reasons for his choice.

“He has been just so instrumental to me doing as much as I have at Mizzou,” Scoville said. “He’s been there for pretty much everything I’ve done. … It’s really been amazing to see how much he cares about students and how much he cares about seeing students succeed.”

Categorized as:

This story is tagged as: