Greetings alumni and friends,

Portrait of Elizabeth Loboa

Elizabeth G. Loboa

If you had told me a year ago that this fall I would be installed as the MU College of Engineering’s 11th dean, I would not have believed it. I was content in positions as an administrator and faculty member at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University. My work there additionally included heading up a rich and rewarding bioengineering research program, working with an exceptional team of undergraduate, graduate, and medical students and post-graduate fellows, investigating wound healing, tissue engineering and regenerative medicine.

But the more I learned about Missouri’s land grant university — its stature as one of the 62 leading research universities recognized as members in the Association of American Universities and its collaborative atmosphere — and as the scope of inherent possibilities on this campus became apparent, the more interested I became. After visiting for an interview and gaining even more perspective, my desire to become engineering’s next dean could be summed up in just a couple of words: opportunity and potential.

The College of Engineering on this campus has the potential to become a global leader in critical grand challenge areas because of the collaborative opportunities already in place. Of course, this cannot happen overnight. First, we must weigh our strengths and begin to concentrate our energies where the greatest promise exists. I am spending my first few months on a fact-finding mission, talking to each department as a group and meeting one-on-one with our faculty. Together we will plot a strategy for the future of MU Engineering that takes advantage of all the College and University have to offer.

The Lafferre Hall renovation project will give MU Engineering even more space and modern facilities in which to train our students and give them opportunities to apply what they are learning. It also will offer faculty and graduate and undergraduate students additional research space.

I invite alumni engagement in the College’s programs and mission, both as MU graduates and as businessmen and businesswomen who can support their alma mater in its research, teaching, entrepreneurial and service missions. I am eager to meet you and will be happy to discuss my vision and how you might be involved in helping us achieve our strategic goals.

Elizabeth G. Loboa
Dean, MU College of Engineering

Categorized as:

This story is tagged as:

Magazine Issue: