Chemical students, associate professor earn accolades at Awards Dinner
The Chemical Engineering Department named its outstanding student award recipients, and Associate Professor Matthew Bernards received the Junior Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award at the annual College of Engineering Awards Dinner, held March 18 at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Columbia as part of the College of Engineering’s Engineers’ Week celebration. The student award recipients were as follows:
- Outstanding Junior: Lauren Baker of Blue Springs, Mo.
- Outstanding Senior: Jared Bruns of St. Genevieve, Mo.
- Outstanding Doctorate: Zachary Thacker of Belton, Mo.
- Outstanding Master’s: Ahmed Jasmin of Tikrit, Iraq
As for Bernards, since the scoring system went to a 5.0 scale in 2013, he has averaged 4.64, and he’s been named best undergraduate instructor six times during his tenure. He is responsible for the analysis, synthesis and design capstone course as well as the senior-level chemical engineering design course, which he recently redeveloped. Bernards also currently is developing a nuclear safeguards curriculum for Africa with the backing of the U.S. Department of Energy.
Bernards won an Outstanding Contribution Award in 2014 for his work with the freshman interest group (FIG) program, and he’s also earned an Outstanding Undergraduate Research Mentor Award from the Office of Undergraduate Research and an honorable mention for the Ann Covington Award for Mentoring from the Fellowship Office.
- Computers & Electronics
- Health / Medicine
- Infrastructure & Transportation
- Nano Science & Technology
- National Security / Defense
- The Environment
- All Academic Departments
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- MU Informatics Institute
- Naval Sciences
- Nuclear Engineering Program
- Nuclear Science & Engineering Institute
- Back to menu
- Faculty & Staff
- Research Centers & Programs
- Mizzou Engineer Magazine
This story is tagged as:
- Winning application announced in 2017 RJI Student Competition
- 15 outstanding students honored at 1907 Celebration of Women in Engineering
- Final celebration of MU’s agriculture in engineering history set for April 29
- Annual Robotics Design Challenge a huge success
- Beloved professor honored with new named professorship