Mechanical students, associate professor honored at Awards Dinner
The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department named its outstanding student award recipients, and Associate Professor Roger Fales received the Senior Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award at the annual College of Engineering Awards Dinner, held March 18 at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Columbia as part of the College of Engineering’s Engineers’ Week celebration. The student award recipients were as follows:
- Outstanding Senior: Thomas Gagnon of Oak Grove, Mo.
- Outstanding Doctorate: Yangyang Chen of Ningbo, China
- Outstanding Junior: Justin White of Jefferson City, Mo.
- Outstanding Master’s: Wolfgang Black of Parkville, Mo.
As for Fales, since 2011, he has averaged 4.47 on a 5.0 scale on his teaching performance from his students, and since joining the faculty at MU in 2004, he’s advised seven doctoral students, eight master’s degree recipients and two undergraduate honors research students. Fales also developed two graduate courses — robust control and advanced hydraulic control systems — and one undergraduate course — mechatronic system design, and he’s taught five undergraduate and three graduate courses in the last four years. Fales also is a two-time winner of the Outstanding Teacher Award in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, an award voted on by outgoing seniors.
Outside the classroom, Fales is a co-adviser for the Engineers Club/St. Pat’s Board and is the adviser for Sigma Phi Delta and the Mizzou Baja design competition team. He’s also received $467,000 in research funding as a principle investigator in the last four years while maintaining a rigorous teaching schedule.
- Computers & Electronics
- Health / Medicine
- Infrastructure & Transportation
- Nano Science & Technology
- National Security / Defense
- The Environment
- All Academic Departments
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- MU Informatics Institute
- Naval Sciences
- Nuclear Engineering Program
- Nuclear Science & Engineering Institute
- Back to menu
- Faculty & Staff
- Research Centers & Programs
- Mizzou Engineer Magazine
This story is tagged as:
- Symposium award seeds $150,000 each into up-and-coming Mizzou research
- Bioengineering, Agricultural Systems Management celebrate roots in agricultural engineering
- Travel award allows professor opportunity to share ideas, data, manpower with Chinese universities
- Novel approach to road surface testing earns civil engineering team ASNT top paper award
- Asphalt lab paves way for breakthrough transportation, infrastructure research