IEEE society’s new vice president for publications aims for consistency

University of Missouri College of Engineering Professor Jim Keller is a firm believer in giving back to the computational intelligence discipline however he can. Taking a second crack at a key volunteer position with the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers is the latest way he’s found to give back.

Jim Keller poses in front of the Eiffel Tower.

Jim Keller, a Curators’ Distinguished Professor and R.L. Tatum Professor with both the Electrical and Computer Engineering and Computer Science departments, recently won an election to be named vice president for publications for the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society. File photo.

Keller, a Curators’ Distinguished Professor and R.L. Tatum Professor with both the Electrical and Computer Engineering and Computer Science departments, recently won an election to be named vice president for publications for the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society. His two-year term will begin in 2017; he previously served in the position from 2006-2009.

Keller previously has served as an editor or associate editor on various IEEE Transactions, which are specialized IEEE academic journals, editing editions that touched on his field of expertise. The Computational Intelligence Society alone has six current Transactions, plus a magazine.

“One of the things I’m going to try to do is push for consistency,” Keller said. “All of our communities are a little different, but there are some things [we can do] so that the author experience when they submit to Transactions is roughly the same.”

In his latest role, he’ll be responsible for various leadership activities, including oversight of editors, rectifying problems with backlogs of accepted research, working with other societies on co-sponsored Transactions, and potentially create new Transactions if new avenues for research arise, among others.

“The vice president for publications is the officer in each society that maintains the portfolio, if you will, of publications and looks out for new opportunities,” Keller explained.

Keller said his second stint as vice president for publications will be different because of the different experiences he’s had since last holding the position. He’s currently a member of the IEEE Periodical Review and Advisory Committee, which oversees the renewal process for all IEEE journals, and is the chair of the Transactions Committee, which is a subset of the periodical committee.

“The V.P. of pubs job came open in my society, and it just hit me that I’m eligible to run, and I’ve got a much different experience than I had when I first became V.P. of pubs, so I put my hat in, and I got elected,” he said.