Dozens flock to MU Engineering High School Summer Camp

Students express shock and excitement as their bridge breaks.

Students participated in a variety of activities, including building a balsa wood bridge. Photo by Amy Parris.

The second and third weeks of July saw upwards of 90 eager high schoolers descend on the University of Missouri for one of two sessions of the College of Engineering’s annual High School Summer Camp.

“This is a chance for them to learn about the different aspects of engineering and really get a feel of what each of our engineering programs can offer them,” College of Engineering Recruiting Assistant Matt Owens said.

The students — many from Missouri but some from as far away as Washington — heard presentations from each of the College’s departments and worked on hands-on projects designed to give students a taste of what each discipline specializes in. These projects included building balsa wood bridges, designing and creating super balls, building soda-bottle rockets, constructing circuits, coding on computers and more.

The high schoolers also got the full Mizzou campus experience, staying in the dorms and getting a taste of what MU’s campus dining options have to offer. They also made good use of the pool facilities at the rec center, got a tour of the football stadium and even played a pickup football game on Faurot Field.

“They loved the activities, loved what the programs had to offer, loved having those hands-on activities where they could really make something or do something,” Owens said.

Feedback collected anonymously from the campers bore out Owens’ assertion. Highlights included:

• “I am definitely considering Mizzou more seriously as a potential college than I was before.”
  • “This program has strongly made me more likely to consider Mizzou when picking a college.”
  • “I am already excited about attending next year.”
  • “Thank you so much for the great experience. I feel like MU would be a great place to go for college. I hope I will walk on the campus as a mechanical engineer one day.”

Visit the College of Engineering’s High School Summer Camp page for more information.