Computer Science Internship Requirements
- Each Bachelor of Science degree student may take only three (3) credit hours of CS 3940. Bachelor of Arts students in Computer Science may take up to six (6) credit hours of CS 3940 with 3 credit hour limit per semester. The CS 3940 Instructor must approve each project prior to the actual Internship. An internship completed over the summer semester will be 3 credits if the time spent is full-time for 2 months. An internship completed during Fall or Spring semester will need a minimum of 160 hours for 3 credits (10 hours/week)
- The project must have a strong computer science component so that the student will develop practical real world experience. This will be one of the most important criteria for approval.
- Each student must submit an “Internship Project Description” including: (1) student name, student number, email and telephone number, (2) company or organization name and address, supervisor names, email and telephone number, (3) project definition and significance, (4) project specification, (5) project deliverable. This must be turned in between the time of hiring and no later than the second week of the internship. The first two items should be contained on the cover sheet submitted with the Project Description.
- Students may sign up for CS 3940 in the semester following the internship, provided they get formal approval before the internship actually begins. Students should mail or fax information for approval to:
- At the end of the semester, one week before the final examination, each student must submit a 10-page final report on the project definition, specification and deliverable. Failure to submit the final report will result in an “incomplete” grade, rather than the “S” grade. At the faculty council recommendation, an “incomplete” grade reverts to a “U” grade in the semester following the one in which an “incomplete” has been recorded unless there are extenuating circumstances that are documented to the instructor. See registrar site (http://registrar.missouri.edu) for further information.
Sample Outline of Proposal:
CS 3940 – Internship Project Description
Student: Joanna Wayne, #333389, email@example.com, 573-771-xxxx
Organization: XYZ Corporation, 123 Nth 3rd, Columbia MO 65211
Supervisor: Mary Smith, marySmith@xyz.com, 573-555-xxxx
- Project Definition and Significance
- Project Specification
- Project Deliverable