Program of study
Requirements to graduate
- Complete 30 hours total.
- At least 12 hours must be 8000-level graded course work (not including ECE 8990, ECE 8085 or ECE 8010)
- 6 of these hours must be from ECE.
- At least 15 hours of 7000-level and 8000-level coursework must be from ECE (not including ECE 8990, ECE 8085 or ECE 8010).
- At most, 3 hours of coursework in Directed Study (ECE 8010) may be taken, and it will be graded on a S/U basis.
- At least 1 course from each of 3 different emphasis areas, 2 of which are in ECE. (Each ECE graduate course is designated to an emphasis area.)
- 3-6 hours of research (ECE 8990) or problems (ECE 8085), based on whether the student chooses to write a thesis or a master’s report.
- Must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA to graduate.
- Each candidate must complete and defend a thesis or independent project.
- Requirements must be met within an 8-year period.
- Seminar Requirement (effective for students first enrolled in Spring 2014 or later): The ECE department will sponsor at least eight seminars per semester. MS/ME students are required to participate in at least four seminars per semester in at least two semesters prior to graduation.
- A maximum of 6 hours of graduate credit may be transferred from another university or UM System campus.
- A maximum of 8 hours of graduate credit can be used from a previous master’s degree.
Sample Programs of Study
Download the Sample Programs of Study (PDF) for:
- Communications and Signal Processing
- Physical Electronics
- Intelligent Systems
- Systems Modeling and Control
- Nano and Micro Electronics
- Digital/Computer Systems
These examples illustrate a typical sequence in each of the following research areas and are for use as examples only. Students should work with their advisor to create a specific program of study.
Questions about ECE graduate programs? Email email@example.com.