Praveen Edara James C. Dowell Professor, P.E.
Praveen Edara is a professor in the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at the University of Missouri. He teaches and conducts research in the areas of freeway traffic operations, intelligent transportation systems, geometric design, traffic safety, work zone driver behavior and traffic simulation. His research has been supported by Missouri DOT, Virginia DOT, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Strategic Highway Safety Program (SHRP 2), and National Science Foundation (NSF). Some of the recent research involved evaluating Variable Speed Limits, Smart Work Zone Deployments, Diverging Diamond, Hurricane Evacuation, and Connected Vehicle Applications.
Prior to joining MU, he worked as a research scientist for the Virginia Center for Transportation Innovation and Research (VCTIR) conducting research in ITS and Traffic Engineering. VCTIR is one of the nation’s leading transportation research centers and is responsible for all research conducted at the Virginia DOT. While at VCTIR, he served as the principal investigator on Freeway Service Patrol Scheduling and Planning, Optimal Sensor Placement for Travel Time Estimation, Large-scale Hurricane Evacuation Modeling, among other projects.
Before VCTIR, he worked as a Research Contractor at the Turner Fairbanks Highway Research Center (TFHRC), performing research in Unconventional Interchange/Intersection Designs and Traffic Safety. TFHRC is the Federal Highway Administration’s Office of Research, Development, and Technology, a federally owned and operated national research facility located in McLean, Virginia. While at TFHRC, he conducted some of the early research on the Diverging Diamond Interchange and Multi-lane Roundabouts, among other unconventional designs.
He is a registered professional engineer in Missouri and a certified professional traffic operations engineer.
- Intelligent transportation systems
- Alternative geometric designs
- Traffic modeling and simulation
- PhD and MS from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- BTech from Indian Institute of Technology-Madras
News & Magazine
- Variable speed limits can limit work zone congestion
- Civil engineering grad student takes runner up at ITS Heartland poster competition
- Three papers outline new ways to look at interchange safety
- Civil grad student presents pair of posters at major conference
- AASHTO names diverging diamond interchange project to ‘Sweet Sixteen’
- Undergrad takes diverging diamond research to Posters On the Hill
- Transportation inspiration
- CEE graduate student takes first place at transportation poster competition
- MU CEE students take top two spots at poster competition
- MU alum Kianfar lands tenure-track position at Saint Louis University
- Missouri WTS chapter selects two from MU for scholarships
- Civil engineers sweep top three at poster competition
- Presentation shows benefits of controlled merging through ramp metering
- First place poster tests ITS effectiveness
- First place poster examines effect of temporary ramp meters
- MoDOT partnership creates real-time research opportunities
- Civil Engineer wins first place in Missouri Traffic and Safety Conference poster competition