Building Update: Phase one complete
Construction on Lafferre Hall is on schedule! The first phase of the replacement of the 1935 and 1944 additions is completed. All offices have been moved, and only two labs remain on the second floor. More than 20 pallets of items have been placed in storage, and more items are expected to go to surplus. Some of the labs have been relocated to Mizzou North (formerly the Ellis Fischel Cancer Center located on Business Loop 70), as well as the second floor of Engineering Building North (formerly Old Student Health). The Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering Department is beginning to relocate to the second floor of EBN.
Phase two, in which labs and administrative areas will be relocated to other areas on campus or in engineering, has been initiated. Those that will be moving out of their labs on the first floor of the ’35 and ’44 additions this semester are beginning that process.
Abatement — removal of hazardous materials such as asbestos and lead — will start on the second floor and slowly progress to the first floor, ending by the end of April.
Sessions were held at the end of January to begin to align the reconstruction to the needs of the faculty, staff and students. This will be an ongoing dialogue through May 2015.
After the completion of the demolition of the ’35 and ’44 additions later this fall, there will be a 150-foot crane erected on the north side that has a 250-foot radius, enabling materials to be moved in support of the construction process. Care will be given to avoid the 90-foot engineering tower on Lafferre’s 1983 addition as well as the bell tower on neighboring Switzler Hall.