IMSE’s Kim earns first-ever Bloss Faculty Enhancement Award

Jung Hyup Kim’s work in human-computer interaction and cognitive human factors attracted the attention of a Mizzou Engineering alum, which led to the assistant professor of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering earning a first-ever award.

Portrait of Jung Hyup Kim

Jung Hyup Kim’s work in human-computer interaction and cognitive human factors attracted the attention of the Bloss family.

Robert Bloss graduated with a bachelor’s degree from the Mizzou IMSE Department in 1977, is an IMSE Hall of Fame inductee, and he is senior vice president of human resources at Hallmark Cards, Inc. He and his wife, Pamela, endowed the Robert C. and Pamela K. Bloss Faculty Enhancement Award to support an IMSE faculty member, and Kim recently was named the first-ever recipient.

“I can use the award to improve the productivity of my research,” Kim said. “We’re working on a project using augmented reality and metacognitive monitoring feedback to improve engineering education. We could possibly use this award to design the future experiment related to that project.”

Kim’s work in human workplace efficiency, how humans interact with computers, how humans respond to safety alerts and more has led to multiple conference presentations, articles in renowned journals and more. His work with students on both the graduate and undergraduate levels also helped lead to the Bloss Faculty Enhancement Award.

“Recently, I felt that I have a responsibility to move my research up to the next level,” Kim said. “I think that this award gives me the positive momentum for making it possible.”

Kim said the award was a wonderful recognition of his work and will serve as a motivator in the future.

“I would like to consider that this is the feedback that I am going in the right direction as a researcher and teacher.” he explained.

Back to Top

Enter your keyword

Search