Mizzou's Online Programs, Including Online Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Ranked 14th in U.S.

February 04, 2021

Brian Maurer portrait

Maurer

Mizzou’s online bachelor’s programs—including the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology—were recently ranked 14th in the country by U.S. News & World Report.

“We’re thrilled to see the IT Program and other online degrees receive this national ranking,” IT Program Director Gillian Maurer said. “It’s validating to have national recognition of the high-quality online content we’re delivering to our students.”

What sets the online Bachelor of Science in Information Technology degree at Mizzou apart from others is that students are able to get real-world experiences.

“The IT classes I have taken have been more project based, or hands on,” said Torie Brobst, a junior pursuing an IT degree online. “So even though we are in an online setting, I’m learning something practical.”

Like on-campus students, online students can opt to focus their studies on cybersecurity, web and app development, media design and technology, media post-production and software development. The program is also preparing students to work with autonomous systems such as drones, robots and self-driving cars.

“Employers want college graduates who understand how to solve problems using emerging technologies,” Maurer said. “We prepare students by making sure our courses reflect what’s actually happening in the world and industry.”

A Flexible Option

Brobst transferred to Mizzou’s online IT Program from Moberly Area Community College. She was able to transfer all of her credits, allowing her to enter as a junior.

“I’m fairly new to the program, but it has been going great for me so far,” she said. “My favorite part about online classes is the flexibility in my schedule. I also think that the time saved by not having to show up in person is a lot more valuable than many students realize. It feels like I have a lot more room during my day or week compared to when I had attended classes in person.”

Ultimately, she hopes to pursue a career in web development, but is keeping her options open. “Information technology is a broad field, and I’d just be thrilled to work with technology in general,” she said.

Brobst said she recommends the online program to anyone who is self-motivated and good at time management.

“I would especially recommend the online program to other transfer students or those with IT work experience looking to build upon their education,” she said. “It’s a great advantage to have and would help you thrive. I can also recommend the program for the staff. I’ve had an excellent experience with our advisor, instructors and teaching assistants. They have been a great help to me.”

Get real-world experience with a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology from a top-ranked school! Apply now or learn more!