Doctorate in Computer Science (PhD CS)
Computer Science emphasizes the study of algorithms, programming methodology, software systems, computational theories and algorithms, computer organization, networking, computer graphics, cyber-security, machine learning, artificial intelligence, high performance computing, and database. The EECS graduate degree programs prepare prior recipients of four-year BS degrees in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or closely related areas for further study at the doctoral level or for successful careers as specialized computer professionals. The CS PhD degree is a research degree designed to prepare students for various advanced professional careers, including college teaching and research, as well as research and development in leading industrial and government R&D facilities.
- Fall deadline: March 1
- Jan. 15 for those interested in financial support from the department
- Letters of acceptance sent by May 1
- Spring deadline: Oct. 1
- Letters of acceptance sent by Nov. 15
Steps to Apply
- You will apply to the Graduate School, not to the department
- Official transcripts from ALL institutions attended
- Official GRE score report from Education Testing Service in New Jersey (and TOEFL scores for international students)
2. Submit the following in the online application to the CS Department
- A personal goal statement indicating why you want to pursue this degree and why you are prepared to do so. Please also include your research interest areas.
- A résumé
- 3 letters of recommendation from professors
- Copies of all transcripts
If you are a…
- current non-degree graduate student or current graduate student in another department, you should fill out a Change of Advisor, Degree Program or Division form.
- previous graduate student returning to the same program, you should fill out a Re-Activation form.
- Collaborative Academic Program (3+2) student, fill out a Master’s Degree Application for Collaborative Academic Programs (3+2) students and upload it to your online application.