Become a global leader in engineering …
The mission of Mizzou Engineering Study Abroad is to encourage students to pursue academic, leadership and service opportunities around the world.
More is expected of engineers in the 21st century than just a mastery of technical skills. The engineering industry now looks for technically competent engineers with leadership, management, critical thinking and business skills, like adaptability and communication, to effectively lead teams of engineers and scientists in global ventures.
Approximately 90 percent of employers value the intercultural skills that studying abroad provides, and 47 percent of employers actually screen for intercultural skills during job interviews. *
Upon successful completion of a Mizzou Engineering Study Abroad program, students will enhance their engineering career profiles to succeed in a competitive global job market.
Mizzou Engineering Study Abroad global experiential learning programs are specifically designed to not delay a student’s anticipated graduation date:
- Programs include a wide array of durations, some as little as 10 days and others as long as six weeks.
- Programs take place during breaks in the academic calendar (summer break, spring break, May-mester, winter intercession).
- Our programs fulfill either a 3-credit-hour upper-level humanities/social science course or an engineering-specific course, such as Circuit Theory, Thermodynamics, or Six Sigma Methodology for Engineers.
- There are 6-week summer options available to help students experience a deeper cultural immersion and earn up to 6-credit hours toward your degree.
- All May-mester and summer programs take place in May and June, leaving more than enough time for students to also complete a summer internship or co-op once their programs end.
- Most programs involve pre-departure courses. Students will meet with their program groups regularly leading up to the global site visit. Once enrolled in study abroad, group members will decide on a time to meet each week that will fit into everyone’s schedule.
At Mizzou Engineering we take Missouri throughout the world and bring the world to Missouri!
Program by Country
Program by Term
- China IT 4001: Mobile VR/AR Development (Summer 2019) – Apply now
- Ireland ENGR 2100: Circuit Theory for Engineers (Summer 2019)–Apply now
- Ireland ENGR 2200: Strength of Materials in Dublin (Summer 2019)–Apply now
- Ireland 4610: Media Design Practicum and Capstone (Summer 2019) –Apply now
- Ireland 6-Credit Option (Summer 2019) –Apply now
- Italy ENGR 2300: Thermodynamics I – in Florence (Summer 2019) –Apply now
- Italy CH ENGR 3262: Thermodynamics II (Summer 2019) –Apply now
- Italy/Switzerland ENGR 3000: Global Leadership (Summer 2019) – Apply now
- Ireland 6-Credit Option: ENGR 3000 and Circuit Theory (Apply now) or Strength of Materials (Apply now)
- Italy 6-Credit Option: ENGR 3000 and Thermodynamics I (Apply now) or Thermodynamics II (Summer 2019) (Apply now)
Our College of Engineering is committed to your training and development as a global leader in engineering. Read about some of the study abroad scholarship opportunities that you can apply for below and are applicable to all College of Engineering-sponsored study abroad programs. Submit your application now or stop by the Student Services Office in Lafferre Hall W1002 to pick up an application. All applications are due no later than 5 pm on Saturday, December 15, 2018, unless noted otherwise.
Scholarship awards will be announced by February 1, 2019.
To encourage more U.S. students to obtain their passport and begin planning for study abroad early in their academic career, the MU College of Engineering is offering a $135 scholarship — the current cost of a U.S. passport (2017) — to be used toward any MU College of Engineering study abroad program.
Students must be a first-time participant of the College of Engineering Study Abroad Programs in order to be eligible for this scholarship. Note: this is not a scholarship intended to pay for a U.S. passport; $135 will be credited toward your study abroad trip expenses.
No application is necessary. Simply present your valid U.S. passport to the Engineering Student Services Office in Lafferre Hall W1002 or notify your study abroad advisor that you have uploaded your passport to your MyStudyAbroad account by February 23, 2018, to receive the scholarship.
Application Deadline: 5 pm, Dec. 15, 2018
This scholarship recognizes the leadership and involvement of our students within the college.
- Students must be active members in good standing with one of our recognized Engineering Student Organizations and/or enrolled in the Leadership Academy and actively accruing points toward the Dean’s Certificate in Leadership and Engagement.
- Scholarship recipients must also be willing to volunteer 10 hours for our study abroad and international programs’ events.
For a list of our engineering student organizations, please click here. Students are eligible to receive this scholarship one time only.
This scholarship may not be combined with the Study Abroad Recruitment scholarship.
Application Deadline: 5 pm, Dec. 15, 2018
Be a peer resource and spread the word about study abroad! Sign up for one of our study abroad programs and bring along a friend, each student will receive a $250 scholarship toward their program fees.
Both the referrer and referee must be committed to programs for the 2018-2019 academic year. Awards for this scholarship may be compounded; however, the max award that a student can receive t this scholarship is $500.
This scholarship may not be combined with the Engineering Leadership & Involvement scholarship.
Application Deadline: 5 pm, Dec. 15, 2018
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide engineering students with financial assistance for participation in MU College of Engineering-sponsored study abroad programs. More is expected of engineers in the 21st century than just a mastery of technical skills. The engineering industry now looks for technically competent engineers with leadership, management, critical thinking and business skills, like empathy and communication to effectively lead diverse and inclusive teams of engineers and scientists in global ventures.
- 2.75 GPA Engineering Major: If your GPA is lower than 2.75, please explain the circumstances and your academic plan of success to improve your academic performance.
- Participation in an MU College of Engineering-sponsored study abroad program. Students participating in semester-long language learning programs through the MU International Center may also be eligible for this scholarship.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and commitment to diversity and inclusion efforts in the MU College of Engineering, MU campus, and/or the Columbia community.
- Active membership in a MU Engineering Student Organization with diversity focus, community service, campus-wide diversity organizations and/or social justice centers (RSVP, Women’s Center, Green Dot, Diversity Peer Educators, Multicultural Center, LGBT Center, Veterans Center, etc.)
- Student level of financial need is taken in consideration.
- Attendance to 3 diversity/inclusion approved seminars (reflection paper for each).
Application Deadline: 5 p.m., Dec. 15, 2018
Did you know?
- More than 500 engineering students have participated in our study abroad programs, and over 10 percent of those students study abroad more than once!
- Mizzou Engineering is truly the home of the global engineer! Our international students represent more than 24 countries, and you have the opportunity to study abroad in Europe, Asia, Africa or Latin America for a summer or an entire semester … and you still graduate on time!
- Our engineers get to visit the global sites of companies such as General Electric, 3M, Boeing, Black & Veatch, Audi, among others.
- Approximately 90 percent of employers value the intercultural skills that studying abroad provides, and 47 percent of employers actually screen for intercultural skills during job interviews, according to NAFSA: Association of International Educators (2015).
- We will help you build a global resume after you complete your study abroad program.
- You have direct access to our study abroad staff via MU Connect.
- You can apply for your passport on campus! Visit the International Center in N-52 Memorial Union.