Trainee names in green
- Latimer B, Bergin DB, Schulz DJ, Nair SS (2018) Open source software tools for teaching neuroscience, Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education (in press).
- Five posters at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Nov 11-15, 2017, Washington DC: Gamma oscillations in BLA – a computational perspective; Formation of tone responsive cells in a central amygdala model during fear conditioning; Characterizing conductance variations in model crab cardiac ganglion large cells; Variation across network output, excitatory post synaptic potentials, ionic conductances, and ion channel and receptor mRNAs within motor neurons of the crustacean cardiac ganglion; Modeling the dynamics of the neural circuitry controlling micturition. PDF
- Hummos A, Nair SS (2017) An integrative model of the intrinsic hippocampal theta rhythm, PLoS ONE 12(8): e0182648 PDF
- Guntu V, Feng F, Alturki A, Nair A, Samarth PS, Nair SS (2017) Amygdala Models, Chapter in Computational Models of Brain and Behavior, John Wiley and Sons (in press)
- Nair SS, Pare D, Vicentic A (2016) Biologically-based neural circuit modeling for the study of fear learning and extinction, npj Science of Learning 1:16015 PDF
- Lane BJ, Samarth PS, Ransdell JL, Nair SS, Schulz DJ (2016) Synergistic plasticity of intrinsic conductance and electrical coupling restores synchrony in an intact motor network, eLife 5:e16879 PDF
- Alturki A, Feng F, Nair A, Guntu V, Nair SS (2016) Distinct current modules shape cellular dynamics in model neurons, Neuroscience 334: 309-331. PDF AUDIO SLIDES
- Samarth PS, Ball JM, Unal G, Pare D, Nair SS (2016) Mechanisms of memory storage in a model perirhinal network, Brain Structure & Function, DOI 10.1007/s00429-016-1210-4. PDF
- Feng F, Samarth PS, Pare D, Nair SS (2016) Mechanisms underlying the formation of the amygdalar fear memory trace: a computational perspective, Neuroscience 322:370-376. PDF AUDIO SLIDES
- Kim D, Samarth PS, Feng F, Pare D, Nair SS (2016) Synaptic competition in the lateral amygdala and the stimulus specificity of conditioned fear: A biophysical modeling study, Brain Structure & Function, 221:2163–2182. PDF
- Hummos A, Nair SS (2015) Multiple mechanisms of theta rhythm generation in a model of the hippocampus, BMC Neuroscience 16(Suppl 1):O17 doi:10.1186/1471-2202-16-S1-O17. PDF
- Two posters at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Oct 17-21, 2015, Chicago, IL: Distinct current modules shape cellular dynamics in model neurons; Biophysical model of perirhinal cortex reveals memory storage mechanism. PDF
- Hummos A, Franklin CC, Nair SS (2014) Intrinsic mechanisms stabilize encoding and retrieval circuits differentially in a hippocampal network model, Hippocampus 24(12):1430-48. PDF
- Six posters at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Nov 14-19, 2014, Washington DC. PDF
- Pendyam S, Bravo-Rivera C, Burgos-Robles A, Sotres-Bayon F, Quirk GJ, Nair SS (2013) Fear signaling in the prelimbic-amygdala circuit: A computational modeling and recording study, Journal of Neurophysiology 110: 844 – 861. PDF
- Kim D, Pare D, Nair SS (2013) Assignment of model amygdala neurons to the fear memory trace depends on competitive synaptic interactions, Journal of Neuroscience 33(36):14354 –14358. PDF
- Kim D, Pare D, Nair SS (2013) Mechanisms contributing to the induction and storage of Pavlovian fear memories in the lateral amygdala, Learning & Memory 20: 421-430. PDF
- Ransdell J, Nair SS, Schulz DJ (2013) Neurons within the same network independently achieve conserved output by differentially balancing variable conductance magnitudes, Journal of Neuroscience 33(24):9950 –9956. PDF
- Six posters at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Nov 9-13, 2013, San Diego.
- Ball JM, Hummos A, Nair SS (2012) Role of sensory input distribution and intrinsic connectivity in lateral amygdala during auditory fear conditioning, Neuroscience 224:249–267. PDF
- Nair SS (2012) Auditory fear circuits in the amygdala – Insights from computational models, chapter 6 in The Amygdala – A Discrete Multi-Tasking Manager, pg. 141-170, InTech Publishing, Barbara Ferry, Editor. doi:10.5772/47814. PDF
- Ransdell J, Nair SS, Schulz DJ (2012) Rapid homeostatic plasticity of intrinsic excitability in a central pattern generator network stabilizes functional neural network output, Journal of Neuroscience 32(28):9649-58. PDF
- Pendyam S, Mohan A, Kalivas PW, Nair SS (2012) Role of perisynaptic parameters in neurotransmitter homeostasis – computational study of a general synapse, Synapse 66(7):608–621. PDF
- Six posters at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Oct 13-16, 2012, New Orleans.
- Moussawi K, Riegel A, Nair S and Kalivas PW (2011) Extracellular glutamate: functional compartments operate in different concentration ranges, Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience 5:94. doi: 10.3389/fnsys.2011.00094 PDF
- Li G, Amano T, Pare D, Nair SS (2011) Impact of infralimbic inputs on intercalated amygdala neurons: a biophysical modeling study, Learning & Memory 18:226-240 PDF
- Mohan A, Pendyam S, Kalivas PW, Nair SS (2011) Molecular diffusion model of neurotransmitter homeostasis around synapses supporting gradients, Neural Computation 23:984:1014 PDF
- Franklin CC, Ball JM, Schulz DJ, Nair SS (2010) Generation and preservation of the slow underlying membrane potential oscillation in model bursting neurons, Journal of Neurophysiology 104: 1589-16410. PDF
- Ball JM, Franklin CC, Tobin AE, Schulz DJ, Nair SS (2010) Coregulation of ion channel conductances preserves output in a computational model of a crustacean cardiac motor neuron, Journal of Neuroscience 30: 8637-8649. PDF
- Li G, Nair SS, Quirk GJ (2009) A biologically realistic network model of acquisition and extinction of conditioned fear associations in lateral amygdala neurons, Journal of Neurophysiology 101: 1629-1646. PDF
- Pendyam S, Mohan A, Kalivas PW, Nair SS (2009) Computational model of extracellular glutamate in the nucleus accumbens incorporates neuroadaptations by chronic cocaine, Neuroscience 158(4):1266-76. PDF
- Mohan A, Pendyam S, Li G, Kalivas P, Nair SS (2008) Computational models of neuronal networks – Modeling plasticity in Glu transmission due to cocaine, chapter in New Research on Neuronal Networks, Yoshida and Sato (Eds.), Nova Science Publishers, New York, 65-107.
- Li G, Nair J, Quirk GJ, Nair SS (2008) Computational modeling – a tool for new psychiatric medication development, Psychiatric Annals, 28(4):296-304. PDF
Selected Other Recent Publications
Trainee names in green
- Iyoho A, Jang TS, Gall A, Nair SS (2007) Predicting individual differences in human thermal strain using computational models, ASHRAE Transactions 113(1):586-597.
- Burd RS, Jang T, Nair SS (2007) Evaluation of the relationship between mechanism of injury and outcome in pediatric trauma, Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 62(4):1004-14.
- Burd RS, Jang T, Nair SS (2006) Predicting mortality among injured children using a national trauma database, Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 60:792-801.
- Thornton SB, Nair SS (2000) Parametric studies of human thermal mechanisms and measurements, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 47(4):444-451.
- Nair J, Nair SS, Kashani JH, Reid JC, Mistry SI, Vargas VG (1999) Analysis of the symptoms of depression: A neural network approach, Psychiatry Research, 87:193-201.
- Vargas V, Du H, Nair SS, Reid JC (1999) Sensitivity analysis for modeling and decision making using neural networks, Intl. Journal of Knowledge-Based Intelligent Engineering Systems vol. 3 (3).
- Kashani JH, Nair SS, Rao V, Nair J, Reid JC (1996) Relationship of personality, environmental and DICA variables to adolescent hopelessness: A neural network sensitivity approach, Journal of the American Academy of Adolescent and Child Psychiatry 35(5):640-645.
- Reid JC, Nair SS, Mistry SI, Beitman BD (1996) Effectiveness of stages of change and adinazolam SR in panic disorder: A neural network analysis, Journal of Anxiety Disorders10(5):331-345.
Peer Reviewed Publications Related to Teaching and K-12
Focus – Professional skills, and Concepts from Cognitive Neuroscience for Grad students; and Neuro-Robotics for K-12
- Franklin CC, Mohan A, Merle D, Lannin J and Nair SS (2012) Perceptions of professional skills by graduate students— A comparative study between Engineering, Education and Biology, International Journal of Engineering Education 28(3):588-598. PDF
- Mohan A, Merle D, Jackson C, Lannin J and Nair SS (2010) Professional skills in the engineering curriculum, IEEE Transactions on Education 53(4): 562-571. PDF
- Bergin D, Khanna SK, Lynch J, and Nair SS (2007) Infusing design into the G6-9 curriculum – Two example cases, International Journal of Engineering Education 23(1):43-49. PDF
Note: Per information from TEACHEngineering.org, the neuro-LEGO lessons and activities cited below had a total of 107,765 page views in 2015 (91,336 for the lessons and 16,429 for the activities). During 2015, six of our lessons were among their “top 10” for page views, from over 1400+ lessons and activities hosted at the site.
- Nair S, Samarth P, Nair SS (2014) Design Challenges, Curricular Unit #5 with 2 Lessons and 5 Activities, TEACHEngineering Digital Library (peer-reviewed resources for K-12; includes powerpoint files, word docs, worksheets and assessments, totaling 206 pages)
- Sinha N, Chaudhary T, Nair S, Samarth P, Nair SS (2014) How do Sensors Work?, Curricular Unit #4 with 6 Lessons and 6 Activities, TEACHEngineering Digital Library (peer-reviewed resources for K-12; includes powerpoint files, word docs, worksheets and assessments, totaling 342 pages).
- Helfer R, Samarth P, Nair SS (2014) What is a Computer Program?, Curricular Unit #3 with 4 Lessons and 4 Activities, TEACHEngineering Digital Library (peer-reviewed resources for K-12; includes powerpoint files, word docs, worksheets and assessments, totaling 263 pages).
- Nair S, Catanho M, Franklin CF, Nair SS (2013) Our Bodies have Computers and Sensors, Curricular Unit #2 with 3 Lessons and 5 Activities, TEACHEngineering Digital Library (peer-reviewed resources for K-12; includes powerpoint files, word docs, worksheets and assessments, totaling 200 pages).
- Nair A, Upendram K, Franklin CC, Mohan A, Nair SS (2011) Humans are Like Robots, Curricular Unit #1 with 4 Lessons, TEACHEngineering Digital Library (peer-reviewed resources for K-12; includes powerpoint files, word docs, worksheets and assessments, totaling 320 pages).