Internships and Co-ops
A student may receive up to 3 hours of credit in IMSE 4910 (Internship) or IMSE 4920 (Co-op) for an internship/co-op work experience if the employment meets the following criteria:
- The student must be employed on a full-time basis for 40 hours per week for a minimum of 8 weeks.
- The student must be employed in an IE related field.
- The student’s employment activities must be IE relevant work that can be verified.
In order to receive credit for the work experience, the student must complete the following:
- The student must submit a work abstract discussing the potential IE related aspects of the proposed work for approval.
- The work experience for credit must be approved and the student must be enrolled in IMSE 4910 for 3 hours, or IMSE 4920 for 3 hours before the employment begins.
- In order to receive credit for the work experience, the student must receive a “C” or better for their grade in IMSE 4910 or IMSE 4920.
- The grade for IMSE 4910 or IMSE 4920 will be determined by the following:
- The student must maintain a daily Log Book of activities and observations. (Incomplete or abbreviated Log Books will reduce the student’s grade.)
- Write a paper detailing your activities during employment (15-20 pages). This paper must follow the outline below.
- Description of Company
- Description of your internship/Co-op duties
- Specific examples of IE related work done (by project or topic area):
- Describe the specific project requirements, people you worked with, data required, relevance to company (i.e. why it is important to the company)/ company performance measures impacted by your work.
- Describe what IE tools were used
- Describe the new tools that you learned
- Discuss what IE tools could have been beneficial to the work (i.e. look at the classes you still have to take).
- Discuss the lessons learned that will help you in your professional development.
- Make a 15-minute oral presentation (with PPT) based on your work and submit the written report within 3 weeks of the start of the semester following the Internship/Co-op.
Please note that the credit for IMSE 4910/4920 can be applied as an IMSE elective or technical elective.
If a student wishes to use IMSE 4910/4920 as a technical elective, the work experience need not be IE related, but must be engineering related. If the student wishes to use IMSE 4910/4920 as an IMSE elective, the work experience must be IE related.
A student can receive at most 3 hours of credit for IMSE 4910/4920 work experience.