Chung-Lung (C.L.) Chen
Chung-Lung (C.L.) Chen, William and Nancy Thompson Professor
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Chung-Lung (C.L.) Chen is an endowed-chair professor in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department and the director of the Thermal, Fluid & Energy Laboratory at the University of Missouri. Before joining MU in 2011, he was the department manager and founder of Applied Computational Physics and Thermal & Flow Physics at the Teledyne Scientific (formerly the Rockwell Science Center). In this tenure, he worked in close collaboration with industry and academia partners to develop many successful multidisciplinary programs. He led a wide range of paradigm-shift programs in fluid/structure/acoustics, power generation, cooling technology, micro/nano technology and development of multidisciplinary computational technology.
Chen’s research has been funded by multiple offices within the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, the Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy, NASA, the Army Research Office, the Office of Naval Research, the National Reconnaissance Office, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Rockwell Automation, Rockwell Collins, the Boeing Co., Kimberly Clark, RTI International and Industrial Technology Research Institute. He worked at the NASA Ames Research Center on computational aerodynamics and helicopter rotor flows from 1985 to 1988. He is an associate fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics and has authored or co-authored more than 140 technical papers, 11 U.S. patents and one book chapter. He received National Chung Kung University’s DAA Distinguished Alumnus Award in 2011.
PhD from University Colorado Boulder
MS from University of Colorado Boulder
BS from National Cheng Kung University
Technical FocusThermal management, flow control and microfluidics
Power generation and renewable energy
Multidisciplinary modeling and integration
Selected Journal Publications (2017-present)
- A Novel Caudal-Fin-Inspired Hourglass-Shaped Self-Agitator for Air-Side Heat Transfer Enhancement in Plate-Fin Heat Exchanger, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 187, May 2019, Pages 297-315.
- Vortex Dynamics and Heat Transfer of Longitudinal Vortex Generators in a Rectangular Channel, Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 132, January 2019, Pages 871-885.
- Enhanced Flow Boiling in Silicon Nanowire-Coated Manifold Microchannels, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 148, February 2019, Pages 1043-1057.
- Enhanced Water Capture Induced With Electrowetting-On-Dielectric Approach, Applied Physics Letters, 113, 204101, 2018. DOI: 10.1063/1.5053703
- Air-Side Heat Transfer Enhancement in Plate-fin Channel with an Airfoil-Based Self-Agitator, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 128, January 2019, Pages 715-727.
- Bio-Inspired Self-Agitator for Convective Heat Transfer Enhancement, Applied Physics Letters, 113, 113501, 2018. DOI: 10.1063/1.5046502
- Airfoil-Shaped Self-Agitator for Convective Heat Transfer Enhancement, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol.133, November 2018, Pages 284-298.
- Towards Enhanced Bubble Detachment within a Thin Liquid Film by Electrowetting with Voltage Modulation, Physics of Fluids 30, 062102, Issue 6, June 2018.
- A Flapping Vortex Generator for Heat Transfer Enhancement in a Rectangular Airside Fin, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 118, March 2018, Pages 1340-1356.
- Bubble Detachment Assisted by Electrowetting-Driven Interfacial Wave, Physics of Fluids 29, 102105, Issue 10, October 2017.
- Numerical Investigation of Condensation on Microstructured Surface with Wettability Patterns, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 115, December 2017, Pages 1161–1172.
- Saddle Point of Attachment in Jet-Crossflow Interaction, Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, DOI: 10.1007/s00162-017-0427-z 3/15/2017.
- Hybrid Atomistic-Continuum Simulation of Nanostructured Defects Induced Bubble Growth, Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 139, October 2017, DOI:10.1115/1.4036692
- Coupled Natural Convection and Radiation Heat Transfer of Hybrid Solar Energy Conversion System, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 107, April 2017, Pages 468-483.
- A Hybrid Atomistic-Continuum Simulation of Nucleate Boiling with Domain Re-Decomposition Method, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B: Fundamentals, Vol. 71, No. 3, March 2017, Pages 217-235.
- Cooling Design and Evaluation for Photovoltaic Cells within Constrained Space in a CPV/CSP Hybrid Solar System, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 110, January 2017, Pages 369-381.