Center for Nano/Micro Systems and Nanotechnology
The Center for Nano/Micro Systems and Nanotechnology was established in the College of Engineering at the University of Missouri in 2006 to serve the Midwest research community with opportunities for collaboration and to have access to advanced fabrication and characterization equipment. Its mission is to provide infrastructure and support to facilitate interdisciplinary research in MEMS, NEMS, nanotechnology, microfluidics, photonics, advanced materials, medicine and microbiology, and to create next generation leaders in their respective fields.
The Center provides a user facility located in Naka Hall at the University of Missouri and encompasses several individual laboratories including a class 100 clean room for photolithography, a biological laboratory, and two class 10,000 clean rooms for materials deposition and synthesis of nanoscale materials.
The Center enjoys collaborations with numerous faculty from colleges across campus and welcomes materials fabrication and characterization challenges for diverse applications. Use of the Center’s processing and characterization equipment be utilized by students, faculty, and industrial partners is encouraged. For specific materials challenges, please contact us via email. Current users may schedule equipment time below.
The Center boasts faculty members and affiliates from different departments.
Dr. Gary Baker
Dr. Sheila Baker
Dr. Peter Cornish
Dr. Shubhra Gangopadhyay
Dr. Keshab Gangopadhyay
Dr. Jie Gao
Dr. Sheila Grant
Dr. Suchi Guha
Dr. Heather Hunt
Dr. Raghuraman Kannan
Dr. Gavin King
Dr. Matt Maschmann
Dr. Thiruvengadathan Rajagopalan
Dr. Shramik Sengupta
Dr. Anandhi Upendran
Dr. Yangchuan Xing
Dr. Xiaodong Yang
- Gangopadhyay Research Group
- Biosensors & Biomaterials Research Team (Sheila Grant)
- Hunt Research Laboratory
- Light Scattering & Organic Electronics Research Group (Suchi Guha)
- Raghuraman Kannan Research Laboratory
- Gavin King Research Laboratory
- Nanoscale Optics Lab (Xiaodong Yang)
- Jie Gao Research Laboratory
- Shramik Sengupta Research Laboratory
- Peter Cornish Research Laboratory
- Gary Baker Research Laboratory
- Sheila Baker Research Laboratory
- Yangchuan (Chad) Xing Research Laboratory
The Center’s laboratories are housed in a 10,000 sq. ft. space that comprises a class 100 clean room for photolithography, two class 10,000 clean rooms for materials deposition and synthesis of nano materials. These labs include equipment for nanomaterials synthesis using both bottom-up and top-down approaches as well as MEMS/NEMS and, material characterization and testing tools. These laboratories are equipped with tools required for every stage of nanomaterials development, integration with MEMS/NEMS chips and devices, and materials testing and optimization. Some of the equipment available for internal MU users is shown below.
Internal MU users can use equipment in the Center under following conditions-
1) A valid MOCODE must be provided before using any equipment
2) Users must attend the chemical safety class offered by Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S).
3) Users must strictly abide by the laboratory rules.
4) Users must email details of experiments, such as materials and substrates, before you use any equipment to Dr. Shubhra Gangopadhyay and Joseph Mathai.
To book time slots online
- Register in our database to start booking time slots.
- Click “I am a New user” and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Once you submit the form, it will ask you for an account number – type your “MOCODE”.
- Facility manager will give access to instruments on which you have been trained; book time slots online as described above.