Feb. 16-17, 2023 | University of Missouri | Columbia, Missouri
JSHS is designed to challenge, engage, and publicly recognize students (Grades 9-12) conducting research in the sciences, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM). Individual students compete for scholarships and recognition by presenting the results of their original research efforts before a panel of judges and an audience of their peers. Opportunities for career exploration, research lab visits, peer discussions, and networking are planned.
JSHS participants will
- Take part in a forum honoring individual achievement in STEM
- Network with peers who have similar interests
- Hear research presentations by other students
- Develop skills to help prepare for undergraduate and graduate pursuits in STEM fields
- Hear nationally renowned scientists speak on their work
- Qualify for significant scholarships and other recognition
- Advance to the national symposium
How do I present at the Missouri Regional JSHS?
Step 1: Choose a research category and project.
- Biomedical science
- Engineering and technology
- Environmental science
- Life science
- Mathematics and computer science
- Medicine and health, behavioral sciences
- Physical sciences
Step 2: Register as a participant for the Regional JSHS event.
Click here to register.
Visit the official JSHS website for complete rules of competition.
Step 3: Conduct original research.
Step 4: Submit an abstract and research paper reporting the results of your STEM research.
All submissions are due by Wednesday, January. 17, 2024.
Students are notified of their invitation to present in the oral or poster competition by January 26, 2024. Please refer to the Core Rules of Competition.
What materials must I submit?
All students intending to apply must submit an abstract and research paper reporting the results of their STEM research. Abstracts and research papers should be Word or PDF files and will be uploaded into this registration. When saving and naming files for upload, please use the following file name format:
Last Name_First Name_Abstract and
Last Name_First Name_Research Paper.
Students must also submit a Statement on Outside Assistance. This document should be titled using:
Last Name_First Name_SOA.
We believe in equitable access for all young investigators. Do you need assistance with accessing research supplies for your project? Please contact Kate Reuter at email@example.com.
Supplies may be available through the Missouri Extension offices.
Students who are selected to make presentations at the Missouri Regional JSHS have an opportunity to win undergraduate, tuition-based scholarships and cash awards up to $2,000.
The JSHS will distribute $4,500 in academic scholarships to the top three regional finalists:
- $2,000 to first place
- $1,500 to second place
- $1,000 to third place
The top five finalists are invited to advance to the National JSHS. Two of the five finalists will orally present their research in competition for military-sponsored scholarships; three of the five finalists will present their research in poster sessions where the top three students in each category receive recognition and cash awards.
National JSHS scholarship awards:
- Eight $12,000 undergraduate tuition scholarships, awarded to each of the 1st place finalists in the National research paper competition
- Eight $8,000 undergraduate tuition scholarships, awarded to each of the 2nd place finalists in the National research paper competition
- Eight $4,000 undergraduate tuition scholarships, awarded to each of the 3rd place finalists in the National research paper competition.