Meet the Dean
Elizabeth G. Loboa is the vice chancellor for strategic partnerships, dean of the College of Engineering and Ketcham Professor at the University of Missouri. She began her tenure as the College’s 11th full-time dean in October 2015, and is the first woman to hold this position.
Dean Loboa provides strong leadership and passionate advocacy for engineering education, research and inclusivity. She oversees nine disciplines, more than 140 faculty members and approximately 3,500 undergraduate and graduate students, as well as a variety of research centers, programs and facilities that contribute to the outstanding education and research for which the University of Missouri is known.
Previously, Dean Loboa served as an associate chair and professor of the Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering at University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (UNC) and North Carolina State University (NCSU), and a professor of materials science and engineering at NCSU.
Dean Loboa continues to maintain an active research portfolio with work in her laboratory focused on:
- Biomimetic mechanical, electrical and material stimuli to adult human stem cells for functional tissue engineering applications
- Textile-based and nanofibrous “smart bandages” as controlled release systems for wound healing, tissue engineering, and regenerative medicine applications
- requiring antimicrobial, antibacterial, and/or anti-inflammatory treatment(s)
Dean Loboa has received numerous accolades for her work as a biomedical engineer, inventor, researcher and leader:
- Fellow, National Academy of Inventors
- Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- Insight into Diversity Giving Back Award
- University of California, Davis Distinguished Engineering Alumni Medal
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Award
- North Carolina State University Chancellor’s Innovation Award
- Sigma Xi Faculty Research Award
- North Carolina State University Faculty Scholar Award
- UK-US Stem Cell Collaboration Development Award
- Stanford University Distinguished Alumni Scholar Award
Dean Loboa views service as an important part of the professions of both engineering and higher education.
Currently, she serves on the advisory boards of the Association of American Universities’ Strategy for Sexual Harassment and Gender Discrimination Advisory Board, and the Columbia Business Times; the board of directors of the Heart of Missouri United Way and the Missouri Innovation Center; the executive council of the Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society, Inc.; and on the nominations committee for the American Institute for Medical and Biomedical Engineering, among others. She is a director of the Engineering Deans Council for the American Society for Engineering Education.
Dean Loboa is also an editorial board member for Current Stem Cell Reports, Scientific Reports, Biomedical Materials, and Tissue Engineering.
> BS from University of California, Davis
> MSE from Stanford University
> PhD from Stanford University
- Functional tissue engineering and biomaterials
- Regenerative medicine and wound healing
- Adult stem cells