October 24, 2023
Mizzou Engineering’s Dean’s Advisory Council (DAC) met Friday, Oct. 20, to discuss priorities and ongoing projects.
Interim Dean Praveen Edara outlined the College’s strategic goals, including growing enrollment, launching new degree programs, increasing industry engagement and leveraging existing programs and resources on campus.
The group also saw the latest developments around a new Center for Energy Innovation, a building project in partnership with the College of Arts & Science and College of Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources. The 180,000-square-foot building will house interdisciplinary researchers with focus on nuclear energy, hydrogen, renewables, energy storage, and grid security and resilience.
Comprised of some of the College’s most prestigious alumni, the DAC provides industry expertise and guidance to Mizzou Engineering.
“This group is really one of Mizzou Engineering’s greatest assets,” Edara said. “They are leaders in their fields and bring a wealth of expertise and experience to the table to ensure our programs best meet the needs of both students and employers. I’m grateful for their time and insights.”
The DAC also attended a celebration honoring Rodger O. Riney, B.S. CE ’68, who was inducted into the Mizzou Hall of Fame during Mizzou Homecoming festivities. Mr. Riney is the founder of Scottrade.
Co-chairs of the Dean’s Advisory Council are:
- Jim Fitterling, B.S. ME ’83, Chair & CEO of Dow Inc.
- Chih-Hsiang (Thompson) Lin, B.S. ME ’83; M.S. EE ’90; Ph.D. EE ’93, Founder, Chairman & CEO of Applied Optoelectronics, Inc. (AOI)
Members of the Dean’s Advisory Council are:
- Mike Brown, B.S. EE ’79 (MS from UMKC ’97), Chairman, President & CEO of Euronet Worldwide
- Steve Edwards, B.S. EE ’78, retired as CEO of Black & Veatch
- Brian Howard, B.A. Bio Sci ’86 (M.D. from University of Rochester, MBA from Emory University), retired as President and Owner of North Fulton Plastic Surgery
- Kelly King, B.S. M.E. ’90 (M.B.S. from Saint Louis University), Executive Vice President of AT&T
- Ray Kowalik, B.S. Civil ’85; M.S. Civil ’99, CEO of Burns & McDonnell
- Sharon Langenbeck, B.S. M.E. ’74; M.S. ’76; Ph.D. ’79, retired as NASA Jet Propulsion Lab Project Element Manager
- Michael Melton, B.S. EE ’81; J.D. ’84, Founder, President & CEO of MEM Enterprises Group
- Jim O’Neill, B.S. Civil ’81; M.S. Civil ’82, retired as President, Boeing Defense Space and Security Development and St. Louis Senior Executive of Boeing
- David Payne, B.S. EE ’83, CEO of PayneCrest Electric and Communications
- Christine Pierson, B.S. IE ’85 (MBA from Rockhurst University), CEO of LTA Manufacturing
- Ron Wood, B.S. EE ’64, retired as President & CEO of Black & Veatch
Learn more about alumni involvement at Mizzou Engineering.