A student may receive up to 3 hours of credit in IMSE 4910 (Internship) or IMSE 4920 (Co-op) for an internship/co-op work experience if the employment meets the following criteria:
- The student must be employed on a full-time basis for 40 hours per week for a minimum of 8 weeks.
The student must be employed in an IE related field.
The student’s employment activities must be IE relevant work that can be verified.
In order to receive credit for the work experience, the student must complete the following:
- The student must submit a work abstract discussing the potential IE related aspects of the proposed work for approval.
- The work experience for credit must be approved and the student must be enrolled in IMSE 4910 for 3 hours, or IMSE 4920 for 3 hours before the employment begins.
- In order to receive credit for the work experience, the student must receive a “C” or better for their grade in IMSE 4910 or IMSE 4920.
- The grade for IMSE 4910 or IMSE 4920 will be determined by the following:
- The student must maintain a daily Log Book of activities and observations. (Incomplete or abbreviated Log Books will reduce the student’s grade.)
- Write a paper detailing your activities during employment (15-20 pages). This paper must follow the outline below.
- Description of Company
- Description of your internship/Co-op duties
- Specific examples of IE related work done (by project or topic area)
- Describe the specific project requirements, people you worked with, data required, relevance to company (i.e. why it is important to the company)/ company performance measures impacted by your work.
- Describe what IE tools were used
- Describe the new tools that you learned
- Discuss what IE tools could have been beneficial to the work (i.e. look at the classes you still have to take).Discuss the lessons learned that will help you in your professional development.
- Make a 12-minute oral presentation (with PPT) based on your work
- All materials will be submitted within approximately 3 weeks of the start of the semester following the Internship/Co-op.
Please note that the credit for IMSE 4910/4920 can be applied as an IMSE elective or technical elective.
If a student wishes to use IMSE 4910/4920 as a technical elective, the work experience need not be IE related, but must be engineering related. If the student wishes to use IMSE 4910/4920 as an IMSE elective, the work experience must be IE related.
A student can receive at most 3 hours of credit for IMSE 4910/4920 work experience.