May 06, 2022
Mizzou Engineering relies heavily on industry experts to ensure curriculum meets the needs of today’s employers and prepares students for emerging trends. In electrical engineering and computer science (EECS) that guidance comes from the Industrial Advisory Board.
The group convened for its spring 2022 meeting on May 3 and heard updates on programming and faculty and student successes.
“Our IAB provides immense feedback and expertise from an industry level that helps us prepare our students to be industry-level upon graduation,” said Syed Kamrul Islam, chair of EECS. “These meetings are important for the growth of our department.”
The board learned about new undergraduate certificate programs in Neural Engineering-Signals and Neural Engineering-Systems, an interdisciplinary Bachelor of Science in Data Science and an accelerated BS to MS programs in Computer Engineering, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering.
Islam also shared the following recent accolades:
- Associate Dean of Research and Professor Giovanna Guidoboni was elected to the European Academy of Sciences and Arts
- William and Nancy Thompson Distinguished Professor Jianlin Cheng was named to the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering College of Fellows (AIMBE)
- Greg L. Gilliom Professor of Cyber Security Prasad Calyam received the inaugural Dr. Robin Walker Award for Outstanding Contributions to Fellowship
- Professor Kannappan Palaniappan won the James C. Owens Excellence for Research Collaboration Award.
The following student successes were also recognized:
- PhD student Omiya Hassan earned both the 2022 University of Missouri Undergrad Research Mentor of the Year and the Graduate Professional Council Excellence in Research awards.
- Landon Swartz, a senior in computer engineering, and Rushil Thakker, a senior in electrical engineering and computer engineering, were two of five campus-wide finalists for the Mark Twain Fellowship.
The board provided expertise and feedback for student capstone presentations.
Members of the Industrial Advisory Boards who attended the meeting in-person or virtually include:
- Tyler Blank – Garmin
- Franklin Chott – ECC Supply
- Matt Glover – Caterpillar
- Eric Haslag – Garmin
- Josh Holland – Veterans United
- Brett Huhman – U.S. Naval National Research Laboratory
- Udaya Kumar – Rockwell
- Mike Pierce – Carfax
- Mike Ryan – Powell Electrical Systems
Be part of a program that connects you with experts in the field. Learn more about electrical engineering and computer science at Mizzou.