Skip to Navigation Skip to Page Content

Undergraduate Research

You’ve got your notes, your textbooks and a head full of equations and theories. But once you step out of the classroom, what then? One way to apply those theories before you step foot into the work world and also impress a potential employer is to get involved in the College of Engineering Undergraduate Research Program.

What this means to you

Undergraduate research generally begins during your junior or senior year, though freshmen and sophomores are eligible if a faculty researcher will agree to support them. In addition to gaining marketable applied engineering skills, you’ll have the opportunity to work with research faculty and graduate students, make your own research contributions and gain a true flavor of what it is to be an engineer. For your efforts, you will be paid $10/hour up to $1,000 (approx. 10 hours/week), an income that has no bearing on your College of Engineering Scholarships.

Undergraduate Research in the News


  • Maintain a 3.0 overall GPA
  • Identify a faculty mentor willing to advise and direct your research
  • On the application form, you must have a signature from your faculty mentor along with signatures indicating financial support from the home department or mentor.
  • You must participate in the MU Spring Undergraduate Research Forum
    • Date: TBA
    • Abstracts Due: TBA

Application / Renewal Deadlines

  • Fall 2016: September 16, 2016
  • Spring: February 10, 2017
  • Summer: June 16, 2017
  • Fall 2017: September 15, 2017


Submit applications to:

Other important notes

  • There is no academic credit for this program.
  • You must do an average of 10 hours of work per week in a research or laboratory setting and submit biweekly time sheets documenting your work to qualify for the full $1,000 stipend.
  • If you participate in the Undergraduate Research Program, you’ll be considered an employee of the university. You must see your department administrator to complete all necessary employment documentation before you begin work for your faculty mentor.
  • The Undergraduate Research Program is NOT the same thing as Honors Research, for which you will be jointly enrolled in graduate school during the last 15 hours of your bachelor’s degree program. In Honors Research, up to six hours of your coursework can be used for graduate credit. Honors Research is administered through a 4995 course in your department (for example, MAE 4995). Find out more here.