ECE 4670/7670 Microelectronic Fabrication
Stephen A. Campbell, “The Science and Engineering of Microelectronic Fabrication”, 3rd Edition, Oxford University Press (2006)
To introduce students to the basic technique for fabrication of microelectronic devices. Silicon PN junction solar cells and dye-sensitized solar cells are fabricated and characterized. Time permitting, a short experiment on water electrolysis/photolysis for hydrogen fuel cells will be conducted.
1. The physics of semiconductor devices
2. Thermal oxidation and photolithography
3. Film deposition techniques for metals and insulators: Spin-coating, PECVD, E-beam and Thermal evaporation
4. Other Device Fabrication techniques: lithography, diffusion doping.
5. Characterization techniques: optical and electrical
6. PN junctions, Dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC), hydrogen formation