Completing the FE Exam is the first step to becoming a Licensed Professional Engineer. Most student take the FE exam their last semester of undergraduate coursework or just after graduation.
How to register for the FE Exam
- Go to https://ncees.org/exams/
- Select the state where you plan to take the exam
- Select “Fundamentals Exam” and follow the instructions
Local Test Center
Pearson Professional Center
1700 East Point Drive
Columbia, MO 65201
Miscellaneous Information about the Exam
- Most Students take the FE their last semester or just after graduation
- Make sure you have taken IMSE 2710 or ECON 2351 prior to taking the exam
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering will reimburse 50% of the FE Exam fee (not practice tests) if you pass it while in school or up to six months after graduation
Requirements to be reimbursed for the FE Exam
All items listed below are required. If anything is missing, your reimbursement will not be submitted.
- Results Notice Fundamentals of Engineering Exam
- NCEES Exam registration receipt – payment history
- Copy of bank statement showing the amount of money paid for the FE Exam. Statement must have the name of the bank and the name of the person who took the exam to get reimbursed. Please black out everything except the payment for FE Exam.
- If you paid for FE Exam with a check, please submit a copy of the cancelled/voided check
- If payment was made by your parent, the parent will be reimbursed, not the student
- Parent/student will need to submit the necessary paperwork showing how the exam was paid for (step 3 or 4)
- If the parent’s information (name and mailing address) is not in the University system, please complete and submit the W9 form so they can receive a check for reimbursement.
Once all requirements are gathered, bring paperwork to Marilyn Nevels in E2412 Lafferre Hall. Paperwork can also be submitted over email to NevelsMa@umsystem.edu.