The Engineering Advising Office advises all undergraduates in the College of Engineering. We help students with department application, academic planning, class registration, academic resources, etc. We also provide workshops related to students’ academic development and success.
What can an academic advisor help you with?
- To explore your major choices offered by each department in Engineering and provide academic planning based on your career interests
- To explain curricular options and teach students how to choose and schedule classes for current and upcoming semesters
- To set and clarify your academic, career and personal goals
- To identify on-campus and community resources and opportunities and make appropriate referrals
- To facilitate with department applications
- To organize and coordinate academic workshops (e.g., time management, pre-registration) to assist students with academic success
The Partnership Between Advisor and Student
- Form academic, career and personal goals.
- Develop plans to reach goals.
- Learn degree requirements.
- Schedule and keep appointments with adviser.
- Be prepared for advising sessions; bring degree forms and/or transcripts. Prepare a list of questions.
- Explore ways to enhance your education.
- Consider and follow-up on advice you are given.
- Seek help at first sign of problems; don’t expect problems to be resolved without action.
- Help student set and clarify goals.
- Review plans to reach goals and consider alternatives if goals are unrealistic.
- Help student learn rules and regulations necessary for graduation.
- Be available for appointments on a regular, predictable basis.
- Explain curricular options, answer registration questions and teach student how to choose and schedule classes
- Give the best possible advice to help the student recognize personal abilities and interest to realize full potential.
- Identify resources and opportunities.
- Make referrals as appropriate.
- Help explore problems, seek solutions, and make appropriate referrals.