College of Engineering students are eligible to earn Departmental, College or University honors.
Departmental Honors Program
The college maintains an undergraduate honors program to further challenge those who have established a minimum GPA of 3.0 at the beginning of the junior year. A comparable grade point average is required of transfer students. The program leads to an undergraduate honors thesis on a research or advanced design project, provides for additional curricula flexibility and contains features that ease the transition to graduate school.
Opportunities available to honors students include:
- More personal attention from an honors advisor
- Independent study or undergraduate research with a senior faculty member whose specialty interests the honors candidate
A student who successfully completes the engineering honors program, including the independent project, will be designated an “Honors Scholar in Engineering.” Interested students should contact their departmental office.
Qualified engineering students are also welcome to join the programs of the Honors College and may enroll in various honors courses and honors sections of regular courses.
Latin honors are listed on your final transcript and based on your final official UM system cumulative GPA after grades are posted.
Those listed in the commencement bulletin at the ceremony will be based on your GPA at the end of previous semester.
This is because your final GPA will not be available until after the commencement ceremony. We cannot make exceptions to this rule.
Latin and ENGR Honor Cords
The College of Engineering does not provide honor cords for students receiving Latin or engineering honors. Students wishing to purchase honor cords may do so through The Mizzou Store. The store does not accept individual orders for students; the College of Engineering provides The Mizzou Store with the count of our honors-eligible students, so it knows how many to order.
The following cord colors have been adopted by the University of Missouri-College of Engineering:
- Honors Scholar: 1 Orange Cord
- Cum Laude (3.5-3.69): 1 White Cord (if also Honors Scholar you may add 1 orange cord)
- Magna Cum Laude (3.7): 1 White Cord and 1 Gold Cord (if also Honors Scholar you may add 1 orange cord)
- Summa Cum Laude (3.9+): 1 White Cord, 1 Gold Cord, and 1 Kelly Green Cord (if also Honors Scholar you may add 1 orange cord)